Huwebes, Pebrero 19, 2015

That Place Called Pateros


Map of National Capital Region
Photo from http://rehiyonsapinas.blogspot.com/2012_10_01_archive.html?view=classic
I grew up in the humble municipality of Pateros. In case you do not know where that is, just look at the NCR map at the right. Our town is situated at the south of Pasig, east of Makati and north of Taguig. It is the only municipality in the entire Philippines that is not a part of a province and it is also the only local government unit in Metro Manila that is not a city. Its insufficient size, annual revenue and population are the reasons why it remains as a municipality until now. It is the smallest local government unit in the region; so small that the entire Cubao is even bigger.
The municipality of Pateros is mostly a residential area. In fact, it is the second most densely populated in the Philippines, next to the city of Manila. But despite that, Pateros still have the least population in the entire National Capital Region. Because of this, a little space is left for commercial establishments to rise, therefore having only a little source of revenue for the municipality. We do not even have a single mall, only small groceries. We also do not have a hospital, only clinics and small baranggay medical centers. The only known industries in Pateros are the alfombra and of course the famous balut. Alfombra is a kind of footwear worn mostly by people before. It could already be considered as a falling industry because less and less people are using it as they prefer to use the rubber slippers that are more accessible in the market and significantly cheaper instead. As a matter of fact, there are only two alfombra stores left in Pateros. Balut industry on the other hand is still doing fine as many people still eat this internationally known Filipino delicacy.
Balut
Photo from http://www.bizarrefood.com/blog/fertilized-duck-embryo-balut/
Alfombra Slippers
 Photo from http://www.ivanlakwatsero.com/2011/07/pateros-journeying-balut-capital.html
Alfombra Slippers
Photo from http://pasigphotographer.blogspot.com/2014/02/alfombra-slippers-of-pateros.html

But despite all its simplicity, if I were given a chance to live somewhere else, I would still choose Pateros – “A small town with a big heart” as how they call it. I would still choose Pateros because of its rich culture and customs even if it is surrounded by highly urbanized cities.
The first reason why I would still choose Pateros is because of its people. As I have said, our town have only a small population; and because of that, everyone knows almost everybody.  People are also very friendly. If you go to the plaza, for sure you will see someone you know and ask “kumusta?” or at least smile. I can still remember when I had my 18th birthday party, almost three hundred people came. Almost all the people I knew were there; from classmates, friends, neighbours, my parents’ friends from their local organizations, to even some of the councillors and our municipality mayor. My mom made sure that we invited everyone we know in our town to reassure our friendship with everyone and to avoid hard feelings. That is how people of Pateros give importance to its ties.
The second reason why I love Pateros is because of its rich culture of Fiesta. Pista ng Santa Marta is held every second Sunday of February. Santa Marta is one of the patron saints of Pateros, San Roque being the other. This day is widely celebrated in the town unlike in other cities in Metro Manila wherein less and less people are celebrating as what I observed. Every house prepares food for their visitors and goodies for the pasubo where the locals throw candies and chips to the dancing crowd in a street dance-parade called Pandanggo sa Daan. This activity is participated by people dancing to the beat of a traditional folk song with a specific choreography. The good thing is that people of all social classes, all sexes and all ages join in dancing so this tradition is well-preserved. A Pandangguhan competition is even held every year wherein baranggays, schools and different organizations join to glorify the patron saint. This competition is usually held in the complex of the only church in Pateros, the San Roque Parish also known as the Shrine of Santa Marta. This church may be a symbolic landscape for some, but it is a vernacular landscape for me. Being raised as a Roman Catholic, our family would always go to this place every Sunday to attend the mass.  My parents are also part of two separate religious organizations, the Daughters of Mary Immaculate and the Knights of Columbus; so we also go to this church during their events. It became even more vernacular for me when I started going to school at Pateros Catholic School which is situated just beside the church. Every day, I used to pass by that church and say my short prayers before going to school. My friends and I would also choose that place to assemble every time we had to meet.  It is also where we spend the evenings of Misa de Gallo. This church is also where I had the sacrament of confirmation.
Facade of San Roque ParishPhoto from https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcviaje/5450200565/

               Through the years, I’ve seen how it evolved. Most changes were done when Reverent Father Roy Rosales, the presiding priest of the parish took charge. It started with the facade of our school being refurbished, and then the walls of the complex came next. After that, the altar was also renovated. It may have changed physically but everything else remains the same. It is still the place that first comes in my mind when I hear the word home as this church gives me the feeling of comfort, humility and love for family.

               That is all I can share about my hometown. There is also no other symbolic landscape in our place as it really is a small town and there is not much to see. It may not have much of built tourist attractions like the Eifel tower or Opera House but the richness of its culture and traditions and the warmth that the people make me feel are way enough to make me stay. I am so lucky for not everyone is given a chance to live in a humble town in the middle of an urban region.


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento